Thursday, July 16, 2015

Joshua's Birth Story

This birth story is provided by Jeanette Tolmie. Thank you so much, Jeanette!

On the morning of January 8th I woke up and was getting ready for the day. I was walking up the stairs and felt a gush. I went to the washroom and saw lots of blood. I stood up, and then a big clot fell out. I called my midwives and she told me to go to the hospital to get checked. While on the way I could feel contractions. 
 When we got to the hospital I was hooked up to monitors right away. Joshua's heartbeat was perfect and my contractions were 2-3 mins apart but my blood pressure was super high. They were checking me for preeclampsia. They said I didn't have it. The doctor said that we both looked good. They gave me morphine for the pain so that I could rest. At that point my contractions were every 4-5 minsutes, so they said they would keep me over night for observation. 
At 10 pm my contractions got stronger and closer together.  I was 2 cm at midnight and the pain was getting worse. I was dozing off and on between the contractions.  At 3 am I was 5 cm. And at 5:30 am I was fully dilated and was taken to the delivery room.
I pushed for an hour and then my baby boy was born. He was born at 6:04 am at 34 weeks 1 day. He weighed 5lbs 1 oz. His APGAR score was 9/9. 
He was taken away to the nicu because he was born with a dislocated left knee and hip dysplasia.  I was kept in the delivery room for awhile because I was hemorrhaging and and needed two stitches. I wasn't able to see Joshua until 11 am. He was in an incubator and he was hook up to all the monitors.
I finally got to hold him at 2 pm. It was the best feeling in the world. 
I was in the hospital for 5 days because my blood pressure was still super high. I found out that I did have preeclamcia and they didn't find out until an hour after Joshua was born. I left the hospital with blood pressure meds and iron pills for anemia. Keegan and I had to stay at a place called almost home so we were close to Joshua. He finally came home after 2 weeks.