Saturday, July 11, 2015

Hudson's Birth Story


     This birth story is provided by Brittany Reed who also has her own blog, twocatswithkittens. Check it out! Thank you so much for sharing your story. 

     To Make You Feel My Love; The Birth Of Hudson Blaine
This song played numerous times while I was in labor. It will always stick out as Hudson's song straight from fate. 

To Make You Feel My Love from Billy Joel on Myspace.

     Around 2 am Saturday morning(sept 20), I was at Waffle House with My wife, and our friends Becca and Kayla. I had been having some small stomach cramps but didn't think a whole lot about it, we finished eating and while Kristen was paying I went to the bathroom only to realize that I was bleeding. I sorta freaked out, told Kristen, and we made the decision to call Jo, our midwife. She immediately told us to go to bed and to rest while we could, this was the real deal! Our baby boy would be here soon!! She told us when I woke up to time my contractions for 30 minutes to an hour. We started timing contractions at 3:55am, and they were 5-6 minutes apart lasting around 45 seconds a piece. We tried our best to sleep but of course it wasn't easy. Around 2pm Saturday, Jo and Mary arrived(midwife and doula), Jo waited around and assured me that I was definitely in labor. Things were going kinda slow so Kristen, Mary, and I went to the park and walked a few laps to try to get things moving, it definitely worked!!! We came back to the house and around 8 or 9 Jo checked me and told me I was 4 centimeters and completely effaced. I instantly got just a little broken hearted, I had been at it for so long already and felt I had gotten absolutely no where. As the night went on and contractions got longer and closer together I was getting exhausted already. Jo sent Kristen to my moms for phenagren so that we could try sleeping between contractions. Talk about ridiculous!! Sleeping 3 or 4 minutes at a time was not fun! But we took it in stride. Sunday I got in the birth pool 3 times total. It was such a relief! I will never go through labor without one, it was the only place I could relax and half way give into my contractions. The entire day was spent between the birth pool and bouncing like crazy on my exercise ball. I would sit, and every time a contraction would hit bounce as hard as I could; with Mary behind me doing counter pressure, me focusing on the duct tape holding the blind closed in the bedroom and Kristen holding my hand telling me that I had this and I was doing great. Flash forward to around 7ish, Jo checked me and I was at a 6! Woohoo right? No! I was so upset, I had been in labor forever, thought I was doing so well! Only to be told I'm still quite a bit away. Not too long after I'm still in the birth pool and my mom shows up, just barges through the door to start yelling at me, trying to fight with Kristen. I tried to stay focused but I couldn't. I remember telling her to just leave that I didn't want her there. Kristen ended up having to call the cops. She was refusing. After that my labor went all sorts of downhill. We waited a little bit and Jo checked me again, I was at 7 cm and a 1inch lip popped up in my cervix out of nowhere. We were all upset and uncomfortable. Jo left it up to me and I decided I wanted to transfer, I was exhausted, upset, and in pain. All I kept thinking was "I can't do this. I can't do this." Kristen rushed to pack us a bag since we had neglected to do so! I was so determined to make it happen that I didn't find it necessary. We finally left and were on the way to the hospital, talk about pain and frustration!! It was awful! I screamed and cried and was hateful. It was the only time I had truly been grouchy towards Kristen. According to her I threw a box cutter at her! Not one but 2 cars decided to pull out in front of us, I was doubting whether we would even make it to the hospital. But after an agonizing trip we finally did! We went upstairs and the lady checked us in and put us in a labor suite. I bounced on my ball and filled out some paper work that I ended up not finishing until the next day! They hooked me up to the monitors, which was worse than the contractions! Someone had to actually hold the monitor on Hudson because he kept running away. I decided to get an epidural; the one thing I didn't want, people messing with my back is beyond scary to me. The guy came in and Jo asked if he could do a bolus, just enough medicine to help me rest. I wanted it out of my system by the time I was ready to push! He agreed and placed my epidural, talk about amazing!! After 40+ hours of labor I was finally able to rest, I giggled as my toes were tingling! Dr. Edge came in and placed a fetal probe to monitor little Hudson, and something to monitor my contractions and broke my water. At that point I remember just giggling and freaking out a little because she hadn't broke my water yet. But Kristen assured me that she had broke it, it just didn't gush like people talk about sometimes. I got some rest and woke up around 1 or 2am, I honestly don't remember. But I woke up feeling contractions and pressure. Turns out I was ready to start pushing whenever I wanted! Our sweet little boy was going to be earth side real soon!! We were both so excited we couldn't believe it, after the long 40+ hours of back labor our handsome man was almost here! After the nurse left the room Jo fixed the bed, making me a "throne." She dropped the bottom out and told me I should be pushing whenever I felt the urge. She crossed my arms and we would pull each other and I was pushing during! I never expected pushing could actually feel that good! The nurse came back and had me pushing on my back; we tried with Kristen and Mary holding my legs, me holding my legs, and the stirrups. None of which worked. At one point she asked me if I expected him to have hair, which of course I said yes. She tried telling me he was bald and I argued and told her that meant baby belly’s sonographer lied to me! I was so heartbroken. I told her I needed to turn over, to get on my knees. She wasn't a fan of it cause I had gotten an epidural but she didn't try stopping me. I ended up getting a contraction mid turn and instantly pulled my knee up and pushed. Once it was over I was on my knees! Still in pain I held on to the head of the bed. To push I would drop my bottom to the very end of the bed and then pull myself back to the head and rest until the next contraction. The room was a whirlwind as the nurses were getting everything ready for Dr. Edge. He's almost here! When the Dr. finally came in she asked why I was in the position I was but never once asked me to move to make her more comfortable. Although she did keep looking at my vagina upside down! The one thing that stands out to me more than anything else is how hot I was! My entire body felt like it was on fire the entire time; I remember continuously asking for ice, water, or a cold washcloth. I told Jo and Kristen both numerous times that I couldn’t do it. I was pushing with all my might but felt like I was getting nowhere! The nurse kept telling me to be quiet, I was making low moaning noises with each push, but I would have been damned if I couldn’t make those noises. I am however very proud that I didn’t cuss the entire time!!! Kristen whispered in my ear in between every contraction about how great I was, how I could do this, how proud she was of me, and how close we were to meeting our baby boy. I couldn’t have done it without these words of encouragement. I kept pushing and remember sort of shrieking at one point and freaking Kristen out hard core, the ring of fire? Yeah that’s real! It wasn’t near as bad as I thought it would be though. I felt his head coming out and tried extra hard to push him out slow to prevent tearing. While pushing I felt his body turning, my boy was born sunny side up! His head was out and all I had to do was push one more good time to get his shoulders out. Talk about relief! His shoulders were out and I felt the rest of his little squishy body follow. Jo made the comment that his body was like a cork because when he came out all the amniotic fluid came gushing out as well! He was out and I heard him crying, I was still on my knees but couldn’t flip over because the umbilical cord. They tried telling me which way to turn but I was way too excited to meet my boy and could barely comprehend what they were saying. Kristen cut the cord and he started crying on the table, instantly she just picked him up and suddenly everyone was freaking out because she didn't have a green towel between them. But that was our baby, she couldn't just let him lay there alone and cry! He was supposed to come straight to me but had ended up really wet so they had to suction him a lot. Inside I was freaking out, no one really told me what was going on, Kristen assured me he was okay just being suctioned and then brought him to me. I took one look at him and couldn’t get over how perfect he was, we kept looking at him and at each other and said “we did it” at least a dozen times. He was the most beautiful baby I had ever laid eyes on!
I've known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong.
     The placenta came out with ease and Dr. Edge told me she was going to have to put 2 stitches in. I had never had stitches and felt ridiculous for being scared of a measly stitch after everything that just happened. Jo took a look and later told me I didn’t really need the stitches but as a hospitalist she could lose her job for not doing it. They cleaned everything up, pushed on my belly, congratulated us and left. Jo and Mary left not too long after and it was just our little family. Our absolutely perfect little family. After a while the nurse came back in to weigh him, he weighed 7lbs 8.6oz but they rounded up to 7lb 9oz. They did the rest of the measurements later on but he was 21 inches long, head circumference of 14 inches, and had long toes and fingers. Hudson Blaine was perfect in every way possible. After 49 hours of labor at3:25am he was earth side. I couldn’t have done it without Kristen, Jo, or Mary. They were everything I needed right when I needed it.