Thursday, April 16, 2015

Colsen's Birth Story

     Remember that birth may not go as you have planned for it. You may have a perfect pregnancy and run into complications during childbirth. It happens. It doesn't make you any less of a person. I have to keep reminding myself of this. It can be traumatic. Each birth is miraculous and unique. My (second) birthing experience was traumatic and happy.
     Because my birth was so traumatic for me, I'd really like to focus on all the blessings and positive things about my birth.


!!WARNING!! !!WARNING!! !!WARNING!! !!WARNING!! !!WARNING!!
Photos are very graphic.

  • I had planned to give birth at my midwife's house and I did. (Hence the quotations around "home birth")
  • We made it to her house in time. Actually 12 hours before going into labor, and because I was her only mother to be on call for at the time, she allowed us to bring our stuff to her at an earlier appointment so everything was already there for us.
  • I stayed the night at my midwife's house. I woke up at 8am, peed, read, stretched, and crawled back under the blankets to cuddle my husband. I had 2 contractions between 8am and 9am. I got up again at 9am to pee. When I stood up, my water broke and labor started.
  • I knew the people around me and felt comfortable with them. I had a relationship with those who attended my birth. They care about me! There were no strangers at my birth. (...except the woman who rescued the water hose for the birthing pool. God bless her soul.)
  • Once I was in active labor, I was able to alleviate some of the pain in the birthing pool.
  • My photographer made it to the birth in time.
  • I'm so lucky my midwife had a daughter who could watch my 4.5 year old once I went into active labor.
  • Labor was a total of 6 hours.
  • We didn't need to transfer to a hospital.
  • I had the freedom to labor how I wanted. I wasn't hooked up to IVs and stuck to a bed on my back.
  • My mother came to get my 4.5 year old, but needed the snow plowed out of the driveway. I had a community of people working for us back home too.
  • Everyone who attended my birth went above and beyond for us.
  • I gave birth naturally!
  • My baby and I are alive.
Photos by Shutter Bloom Photography.
The photos tell more of the story.
My husband was amazing and emotional throughout my labor.

At this point, my midwife was explaining to me that we needed to get the baby out asap.




He's here! He's blue, but he's here and he's alive!

So much love and so many emotions.

Knot in the cord. This could be what caused his heart rate to drop when I started pushing.

My big 8lb 12oz chub.

My precious baby in his first outfit. He still didn't have a name at this point.

Best. Midwife. Ever.

Mama, Daddy, and baby Colsen James.

The Mattis Family

     I'm sure there are things I am leaving out that were good. Even though I had a traumatic birthing experience, I know that it couldn't have gone better than it did. I am so thankful for those who attended my birth and how each of them participated. I do not regret my choice to have a home birth. I am sad that I cannot express how thankful I am to each person who helped and attended Colsen's birth.

https://www.facebook.com/brandihurleyphotography?fref=ts
http://wiyama.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wiyama-Midwifery-Holistic-Wellness-Care/123531044406006?fref=ts
http://shutterbloomphoto.com/