Saturday, November 29, 2014

Recipe: Taco Pasta

     I wanted to make something at least half-way healthy for the home-birthing class I was getting ready to attend. It was a potluck style meal deal seeing as we'd be attending class for several hours. I came up with Taco Pasta.


Ingredients:
6 oz elbow macaroni
1 lb ground beef
1 can petite diced tomatoes
4 oz shredded cheese (of your choice - We used Colby Jack)
8 oz Nice 'N Cheesy (Kroger brand pasteurized process cheese spread - use whatever is available to you)
1/2 cup milk (sorry, I'm guessing because I eyeballed it about half-way up the cheese blocks in the bowl. Let me know what works best!)
1 package taco seasoning

Directions:
Thoroughly cook beef while boiling noodles to aldente. Once done, combine the beef and macaroni in a large pot. Add drained petite diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Now, combine diced Nice 'N Cheesy block with milk  in a separate microwave safe bowl and microwave in 1 minute increments and stir until melted. You can reduce the time over time. Stir what is in the pot, add cheeses and stir until mixed evenly.

I like to use whole grain or veggie noodles, and when I double the recipe I use 1 lb beef + 1 lb turkey burger. You may use Shells and Cheddar in place of the elbow noodles and Nice 'N Cheesy.

Side note: My family is picky. You can add any type of taco toppings into or on top of this recipe. Examples include lettuce, onions, peppers, sour cream, etc...

Bon Apetite!